Are you going for an interview??? Feeling nervous?? Don’t worry. To make your interview successful, we have listed more than 15 excel interview questions for Data Analyst, Business Analyst, and Financial Analyst interviews that can be asked by the interviewer.
Excel Interview Questions
Ques 1. How can you format a cell?
By using cell “Format cells” option you can change the number, alignment, font, text color, background color, border, fill, and protection of any cell. To get more details, click Excel cell formatting.
Ques 2. How many types of formats available in Excel? What are they?
There are different types of formats available in Microsoft Excel. Few of them are:
Ques 3. Can you make pivot table using two different worksheets?
Creating a pivot table on the worksheet using multiple sources on the different worksheet is possible. The workbook of these worksheets must be the same. Click on the link to get details about How to create excel pivot table using multiple worksheets.
Ques 4. Can you resize the column with a single click?
There are three ways to resize the column.
- One way is to drag the boundary of the column towards the right side.
- Second is to go to the format icon available at the home tab and choose the Auto size column width.
- The third is to go to the boundary where alphabets are written and double click on the boundary as shown in the image.
Ques 5. How does If the function in excel works?
The function is used to test the condition whether it is false or true. If the condition is in favor then it gives a favorable result and if the condition is false then the result comes differently. In fact, you can apply Excel If statement in multiple conditions range.
Ques 6. How to protect the cell of your worksheet from copying by someone else?
To protect your worksheet, go to the menu-> review ->protect sheet-> password. Now you need to enter your password so that you can prevent your worksheet from getting copied.
Ques 7. Can you highlight cells containing duplicate values?
Yes, we can highlight cells using conditional formatting.
- Select the data set.
- Go to the home tab.
- Click on the conditional formatting icon.
- You will find highlight cell rules.
- Press on duplicate values option.
For more details, click conditional formatting excel formula and check how to apply
Ques 8. By using formula, can you combine the text available on multiple cells?
You can combine text via three different methods:
Ques 9. How will you find the length of the text?
To find the length of the string, you need to use LEN formula. For example, if your string is in A2 then type LEN(A2).
Ques 10. What is the format to write Vlookup formula? How can it be used?
VLookup formula is
VLookup(lookup_value, table_array, col_index_num, [range_lookup]). To apply this formula on data set click on Vlookup function in excel.
Ques 11. What is a pivot chart?
After creating a pivot table, you will get a data set that you can use to create a pivot chart. The advantage of the pivot chart is whenever you make changes in your pivot table than that changes will reflect in the pivot chart.
Ques 12. Which chart is the most suitable for showing the performance?
For showing performance based on the target completion then bullet chart is the most preferred chart. The chart will show you lots of information and consume lesser space on your report.
To add a hyperlink, you need to select the cell on which you want to apply hyperlink and use Ctrl+K. By pressing, Control key along with K, you will find hyperlink dialog box where you need to specify your URL.
Ques 14. Define ribbon?
The ribbon is the top side area where menu items and toolbars are located.
Ques 15. What is the syntax of Sum and Average formula in excel?
The syntax of these formulas is very easy. For Sum “=SUM(A2, A3)” whereas for average “=AVERAGE(A1: A5). For more details, go to excel formulas basic.
Ques 16. What are wildcard characters in Excel?
There are 3 wildcard characters available:
- Asterisk (*)
- Question Mark (?)
Ques 17. For business purpose, which Excel chart is best and why?
For business related issues, the Pareto chart is the best chart for you. Now the question is “Why Pareto chart is best to solve your business issues?” The Pareto chart works on the basis of the Pareto Principle that helps in identifying the root cause and problems occurring in your business. If you find lots of problems and want to focus on the biggest problem then you need Pareto Chart. Check how to make Pareto chart by Clicking here…..
Ques 18. How you can remove duplicates in excel?
To remove duplicates, to need to find duplicates using conditional formatting AND Countif function. Click here to check the process of removing duplicate values in excel.
Ques 19. How to add Bullet Points in Excel?
Like MS Word, you will not find shortcut of adding bullets. But you can use different methods to add bullets in excel.
- Using the symbol box.
- Copy Paste from Ms Word
- Using Formula
To know its step by step process, you need to Click Here.
Ques 20. What is Data Validation?
The data validation is an option which is available in the data tab. This option allows you to enter data that fully satisfies the criteria. For example, if you want to enter the roll no. or age of the student then you need to use Data validation so that it can accept the numeric values only.
How to describe excel skills on a resume?
While mentioning your excel skills in your resume, you need to focus on a few aspects:
- Specify yourself: You need to mention your proficiency in excel. Never say that you have an advanced excel skill. Different people take this in different ways. Instead of saying advanced excel proficiency; you can say that you have advanced proficiency in MS Excel including pivot tables, Index/Match, VLookup, and Data Tables.
- Excel Courses: Mention the excel courses you have undergone whether it is online or offline. After the name of the course, you need to briefly explain the learning you got from that course.
- Honest: While mentioning everything you need, to be honest. For example, if you know the basics of excel then mention clearly. Do not mention that you know advanced excel as interviewer may ask you some excel practical questions based on advanced excel and at that time you will be caught.
- Highlight your knowledge or topics in which you are master.
- AngularJS Interview Questions
- Interview Questions for Managers
- SQL Interview Questions
- Project Manager Interview Questions
- Interview Questions for Software Testing
- SEO Interview Questions