In Excel, you will find numerous functions and formulas available like excel macros, vlookup, hlookup, and many other. Slicers are basically used to filter pivot tables easily and quickly. To know everything about excel slicer, continue reading this page.
The Slicer is the visual filters that filter data available in a pivot table or pivot chart by just clicking on the insert slicer. You can filter the data by just clicking on its data type. Let’s take Excel Slicer example, you want to analyze the sales done in the particular region then in a pivot report, you want to look at sales as per customer profession. For finding out the region, you need to
- Include region in the report filter and then filter the region.
- Include slicer on the region and select the region that you want.
How to create Excel Slicer?
- Create a pivot table.
- Click anywhere in that pivot table.
- Now in the toolbar, find the option for Insert Slicer.
- If you do not find Slicer option then you can insert it.
- To insert slicer, go to the file menu and find the options icon.
- Click on options and you will find another page where you need to select slicer option.
- After selecting Slicer, click on Insert icon.
- Select the field on which you want to put slicer.
- Click on the pivot table.
- Click on Insert Slicer.
- The new window will open where you need to make a selection.
- Click Ok.
- Now you will find that excel slicer dashboard will be displayed for every field.
- In every slicer, you can click on the items on which you want to perform filter.
Create Charts with Slicers
As slicers are compatible with pivot tables, you can also use them to create Excel Charts. The process to create charts is:
- Create a pivot table.
- Similarly, by following the above process, add the slicer that interacts with any field.
- With the pivot table, you can create a pivot chart.
- You can move slicer next to the chart.
- Now your interactive chart is ready.
Excel Slicer Formatting
Slicers come with customizable options. With its customizable option, you can change the look, settings, and colors of the slicer easily.
Slicer header: The header of the slicer shows the category of the items.
Filtering Button: In this button, you will find the items in the filter.
Clear Filter: It removes the filter by choosing items in the slicer.
Scroll Bar: You can scroll up and down when there are more items.
How to Delete Slicer?
- To delete slicer, you need to right-click on the slicer.
- Select remove “Slicer name”.
- Click on this option and you find that the slicer is removed.
Link slicer with multiple pivot tables
You can link slicer with different pivot tables that allow you to build interactive reports. In order to connect multiple pivot tables, you need to follow the process:
- Give unique names to every pivot tables.
- Click the right button on the slicer and then go to the report connection.
- Check the pivot tables and click on the checkboxes that you want.